Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Phone Call

Tring …….Tring………I woke up on hearing my phone bell………who would call me at this time? Thought I. whoever it might be but they are sure to get a bang from me for disturbing my Saturday afternoon nap. Before I could get up, the call got cut. Would it be my husband? No the Malaysian timing is two and a half hour from the IST and it would be just 5.30pm there. I can never even imagine my husband seeing the sunset. To him it’s always working time and he hardly comes home from work. Since there is nobody to peg to return to home, he hardly remembers he has a residing place there too. Further he had the habit of calling us once in a week, mostly on Sunday (the day for his sleep at home).

Again the phone rang and as I was about to reach it, there was pin drop silence. Who is it trying to wake me up? Would it be my daughter or son? No way. They hardly remember me during summer vacation that too when they are in their Aunt’s place. “She makes cute crafts mummy. You don’t even know how to clean it u r a total waste” this is my daughter. She is so much impressed of my sister-in-law. “She makes delicious Jamoons…mummy yours always breaks before we eat. Hers always melts in the mouth” this is my son. This is what they have to tell about my talents. For your information both of them are telling their opinion about my two different in-laws! I always get irritated by these as I knew my cooking and crafting skill. I hardly prepare any sweets and never try out crafts. I always tell them that I am working and I can’t afford to get trained in all these and disturb my routine works. Anyways I am relived from them during summer vacation time due to the grace of my sister in-laws. So finally it’s not my children. Then?

Again the phone rang disturbing my thoughts. I literally ran toward the phone. But my running skills were overridden by the single ring of the phone. It got cut. I was totally frustrated and started scolding my husband for renting such a big house. I am the one who wanted a big kitchen and only this house had a bigger kitchen accommodating all I required. Will that be my father? Or any other relative of mine who really wanted my help? My anger converted itself to sympathy for the one who badly wanted my help.

Tring Tring……….this time the phone rang violently and I was successful in picking the receiver before the call getting cut. I was so excited that I told “yaarungha vaenum unghaluaku” as politely as I can. “Are you Mrs. Kumar?” asked a bold voice. “Yes” this time I warned my mind not to think of anything bad to anybody. “I am coming to your house now” before I could reply back he cut the call.

I was tensed. Who is he? Why is he coming to my house? Is he a robber fascinated by the Malaysian dollar salary my husband earns? Or a person attracted by the jewels my family wears? I was getting more and more tensed as the time passed. Tring………..this time it was my calling bell. I went up collecting all my confidence and opened the door. There stood a smart young chap in the age of my brother. He asked me “are you Mrs. Kumar?” the asked me the same voice……………..I was shocked to death when he pushed the door and entered the house. Before I could think of running out, he locked the door. I triggered my mind as to think of who he might be. He took a cover from his jerkin slowly providing time for me to imagine that it is a revolver. He gave the cover with a smiling face, “mam this is from your husband, there is Rs. 50,000 in this and I am his friend Ashwin”. Confused whether to laugh or shout, I made a big smile in my face. “Thank you for taking such efforts to hand it safely to me” He could have understood what I meant in a soothing voice he told, “sorry if I had frightened you. This is the first time that I am handling such a responsibility to deliver money”. Convinced by his words, I told “Don’t worry man, you’ll soon get used to it, but preferably change your process”. So that’s the way my husband proved he really remembers us and that he has a home. I rushed to the phone to inform my husband that the money had reached me safely?!

No comments: